The proof is given by archaeological findings which confirm the existence of human settlements related to the Paleolithic. Mineo was built in the time of Greek colonization, hands of a Sicilian king in the fifth century B.C. became home to Ducezio. A Mineo, in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries they were born personalities who established themselves in the field of studies, Therefore it became a center of art and culture. In the same period they were founded numerous charities. At the end of '700 Mineo had well 14 monasteries and convents and about 25 churches. After several disastrous events that struck Mineo, in particular those of the 1542 and 1693: two catastrophic earthquakes that destroyed many churches, palaces in the latter also the Castle. From 1738 Sicily was dominated by the Bourbons, subsequently, in 1820 about, it was instituted, with the kingdom of Naples, the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Finally, in 1860, Mineo and Sicily, They became part of the kingdom of 'Italy. It has always been a land of brilliant poets, and also home to famous men, among which: Luigi Capuana, Padre del Verismo Italian, Corrado Guzzanti, geophysical, Don Luigi Ricceri, one of the successors of Don Bosco, Giuseppe Bonaviri, doctor and contemporary writer.
It is the heart of Mineo which hosts the most intense moments of city life. He was dedicated to Ludovico Buglio, one of the most prestigious sons of Mineo, famous seventeenth century Jesuit missionary in China. The square has an irregular shape, extensive, with significant differences in height and will overlook some works of art of historical importance.
The numerous archaeological evidence of the rich territory of Mineo include the remains of the city in the Greek period. The Arts Greek and Roman times is covered completely from the modern town of Mineo:
Casazze plan It is an indigenous center, located on the border with the territory of Caltagirone;
Monte Catalfaro where there are the remains ranging from prehistoric to medieval of a vast settlement extended on two hills connected by a saddle. The highest point, from the dense vegetation, one can see the ruins of the medieval castle.
Rocchicella – palike is the basalt hill of Rocchicella is along the river of Margi with the area of the famous shrine of Palici, the most sacred site of the Sicilian population.
Caves Caratabia in which you are located about 3 Km northeast of the town, by the coast of Mount Carratabia, on its southern flank, in a pair of chambers, carved into the rock, where there are depicted graffiti with hunting scenes.
The charming town of Camuti south of Mineo are the remains of a prehistoric village dating back to the ancient Bronze Age.
Church of the College
Designed by the architect M. Masuccio, It was completed in the year 1632. It was the church of the Jesuit College consecrated then to St. Thomas the Apostle. It contains particular an iron balustrade worked of 1700, a deposition of Filippo Paladini, one reliquario of 700 and a marble statue of the Madonna delle Grazie.
Church of S. Agrippina
Built by S. Eupresia is a very old building, probably built at the same time the arrival of the S remains. Agrippina in Mineo Contains, in the inside of admirable workmanship stucco, the frescoes, depicting the Holy expelling Arabs, They are S. Lo Monaco, latest frescoes by G. Baron with scenes from the life of Christ. The ever Wooden statue image of S. Agrippina is V. Archife and is dated 1518, a fercolo of silver eighteenth century is on display , yet to mensionare a XIII century organ. Under the church, The crypt contains a fresco of the fifteenth century. This in particular is the subject of devotees visits that pick considered miraculous clay during earthquakes.
Church of S. Maria
Built on the Temple of the Sun God. In 1644 It is destroyed by the earthquake of 1693, rebuilt is reopened for worship, The baroque facade bears the coat of arms of Buglio. Inside the frescoes depicting biblical women, a sink of the '500 then Mazzola, a wooden choir, an organ of '600, paintings of the eighteenth century and a statue of the Queen of Angels, gift to the city in 1072 by the Count Roger.
Church of S. Pietro
Its existence was known by 1132, collegiate in 1670. Its Baroque facade is embellished by statues of S. Peter and S. Paolo.
Church of S. Francesco
The origin of this church dates back to 1450 together with the convent of Conventual fathers .From notice the nineteenth front door and, nestled on the wall overlooking the main street, a '400 portal, perhaps the oldest in the church entrance. Inside it contains many works of art.
Erected in the Byzantine era, destroyed by the Arabs, rebuilt in the Middle Ages and finally irreparably demolished by the earthquake of 1693. Few remnants, only a few traces of the twelve existing towers. The legendary tunnels that linked him to the nearby castles and halls that hosted the royal wedding now no trace.
Access the city walls for many came from Lentini-Militello-Mineo-Caltagirone. Baroque in style, wonderful after restoration.
Already the Jesuit college in 1588, after their expulsion from the island, occurred in 1767, the building became property of the state property and then Town Hall. In quite modern times it has undergone some changes and the addition of a historic clock tower. still retains the splendid cloister with its summer cultural events .It remind, yet , Library Capuana, with its enormous collection of books, the cultural circle , meeting place of the local bourgeoisie, interesting on the outside at the top of the building stucco reproducing ancient coins minted in that Mineo. Ostrich Palace, Palazzo Buglio Morgana, , Palazzo Capuana and many more.
Monument Luigi Capuana
Luigi Capuana, Mineo writer, Padre del Verismo, The monument is the work of Vincenzo Torre from Nicolosi, realized in 1934
Palazzo Luigi Capuana
E 'a palace with two-storey elevation, the birthplace of the famous writer Mineo. On the right side of the door there is a plaque with an inscription, the fascist period dictated by the comm .G. Blandini, admirer of Capuana. Recently renovated, the palace has been used as a museum and houses the public library.
Cultural Circle Luigi Capuana
Originally home to the city palace, Municipal Loggia, then it became the home of the magistrate. Fù later transformed into a district jail and partly granted to an association of nobles, said "the Civil Casino". Fu “beam house” and after the war cultural circle dedicated to Luigi Capuana.
gastronomic typical products of the municipality of Mineo are: the blood oranges , extra virgin olive oil, cheeses and the typical sweet cannoli.
MARCH – April
Procession of Christ to the column and the dead Christ: At the end of the evening Eucharistic celebrations of Holy Wednesday, from St. Peter the procession of Christ at the Column, depicting Christ tied to the silvery column. Good Friday, always comes from the church of St. Peter the urn of glass and solid wood of the Dead Christ. (Holy Wednesday and Good Friday)
A ‘ncrinata: About eleven o'clock in the morning, the coffin of the Risen Christ runs out of the church of S. Agrippina and reach the main square full of people, eager to see a ‘ncrinata.Christ comes announced the Easter Madonna from the standards of the three parishes menenine. the madonna, after the standards have made three trips to her by Jesus, Flow also comes on the shoulders completely covered by a black cloak. Around midday then, madonna comes to removing the black veil, and both she and Christ are to meet, running and doing back and forth three times. (Easter Sunday)
The feast of the Queen of Angels: IS’ a medieval procession through the main streets to go up at the tower of the castle Ducezio and raise the flag. On Saturday however the statue is carried in bare feet and on the shoulders of devotees. (Last Friday in May)
Feast of S. Agrippina: The Saturday night takes place the traditional opening of the festivities with the opening of the Chapel of Saint Agrippina, and later with the characteristic power of the illuminations and the show piromusicale. Sunday the Holy output is followed by a large number of people and takes place around the 18.00. Returning to the streets at 20.00 about, the place of the solemn mass and after to have ended with the band that sings the hymn of devotion to the Blessed Virgin and Martyr, the fercolo makes his return to the church of Saint Agrippina. The Saturday before the octave of the feast, around the hours 18.00 It is the so-called Pilgrimage of the Nudes. The nudes are hundreds and hundreds of elderly, young, fathers and sons , dressed in white and barefoot perform the pilgrimage, holding a bouquet of flowers by giving voice to their devotion with the cry "Long live Our Patroness of Sant'Arpina". On the morning of the second Sunday, the square is packed with people for the traditional parade of horses and typical Sicilian carts for the usual offer of grain to the Patron Saint. After the Holy Mass that takes place in the Church, at approximately 20.30 released fercolo the Internal ride that sees through the city-country reaching the main churches. Then the closing of the festivities and the blessing of the priest to citizenship, the Santa returns to be relocated in the Chapel located in the Church. (last two Sundays in August)
Holy Family Feast: In ancient times the S Feast. Giuseppe took place on 19 March. Every year three poor of the city depicting the family festival of Nazareth, dressed in typical local costumes. But this tradition over time has been lost, and this holiday has been replaced by a statue of the Holy Family. The festival is celebrated in the month of November at the parish S. Maria Maggiore. At the end of the Eucharistic celebration the statue through the main streets of the city.
Feast of the Immaculate Virgin: The feast is celebrated on December 8 at the church of San Francesco. It is the afternoon held a parade through the streets of the country. After the Eucharistic celebration the statue is carried on the shoulder by Mineo, so along the main streets. (8 December)
Christmas in the alleys in Mineo: The event is divided into two sections: the first dedicated to the artistic nativity scenes and the second to the living nativity scene. Along the proposed route visitors can admire a series of artistic cribs. The most impressive moment is represented by the living nativity scene, similar to some sacred representations of the medieval period. Mineo is transformed into a country of memory and the streets of the old town are full of typical and traditional characters replicated in costumes, in the gestures and words of the past. Revolve around the main event several activities such as exhibitions, exhibition, tasting and a chance to visit the archaeological site of Palikè and the house museum Luigi Capuana.
Visited 9167 times, 2 Visits today