The monument to the Catania Elephant Fountain It was built between 1735 and the 1737 architect Giovanni Battista Vaccarini.
This beautiful fountain is placed in the percent of Piazza Duomo the main square of the city of Catania.
The main character actor of the fountain is just the elephant statue considered to be the symbol of the city is called by citizens Liotru from the mispronunciation of the name Heliodorus, a noble Catania who tried to become bishop of the diocese without success.
Eliodoro is associated with the elephant because legend has it that it was he and the sculptor who used to ride to move from Catania to Constantinople.
The fountain has a pedestal of white marble in the center is the hot, always in white marble, they fall into the water jets.
At the foot of the fountain are two sculptures depicting the rivers of Catania Simeto and Amenano, however above the fountain is the famous elephant in lava, with its trunk upwards and facing the Cathedral.
On top of the elephant stands in the obisco ache tops presents a globe surrounded by a wreath of palm leaves (representing the martyrdom) and a branch of lily which indicates the purity, Finally there is also a metal tablet with the inscription MSSHDPL – “Healthy mind and sincere, for the honor of God and for the liberation of his homeland”- dedicated to the Patroness.
Visited 6132 times, 15 Visits today